3.02.2010

ICE, ICE BABY

My dad and I took the kids ice skating for the first time the other day. We went to Red Arrow Park, downtown Milwaukee. As a preface, I have been ice skating since I was about 1 1/5 (say my parents). Not sure if this is truth or not, BUT it has been forever. It started way back when, when there was such thing as an ice rink at Mayfair. Does anyone actually remember this...I can clearly remember EVERYTHING about this. I seem for forget a lot from when I was little, but I distinctly remember A LOT about the Mayfair Ice Rink. So back to the point of the post, we took the kids skating for the first time. Maddy had a pair of black double blades (she calls them boy skates, but is somehow ok with this...) and Winn has (per my dad) my first four blade skates that I used, funny! They were hesitant for about 2 minutes, then Maddy says that she doesn't need to me to hold her hand, that she can do it herself! OK then... She actually did pretty good, pretty much just "walking" around, not quite the gliding princess that she'd have liked, but pretty solid for the first time. Winn enjoyed my dad sliding him across the ice on his butt. He did better than I thought, as much of a pistol that he is, he sometimes is a bit afraid things. He was on his own in about a half hour or so.
Here are some pics of the kids, there are a lot, but its hard to cut them out, they are too darn cute :) By the end, Maddy was trying to do a triple toe axle, and Winn was a shoe in for the goalie. Lots of ice time and fun!!



















5 comments:

tuesdays at ten said...

yay for ice skating and red arrow park! we've been hitting the ice this winter too. sooo fun! great pics :)

Liesl said...

Can you take us iceskating some time??? I'm already 12 and never been iceskating. Great pics though :)

Anonymous said...

Liesl-
I would LOVE to take you ince skating!!!

Jenny said...

Totally remember the Mayfair rink. Details and all just like you. Weird! Remember also how you could watch from inside the McDonalds!

Jenny said...

Yes, inside the McD's was so crazy. Its hard to picture what is actually looked like now!